I, Me and Myself

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

blue rocksters

Everybody thinks I should get rid of blue my rocksters. They are these light weight slippers that are too comfortable for words! I got my first pair for my 20th birthday. They were these electric blue ones and I was wondering how to keep a straight face and not hurt my friend's feelings. But then, I am not too worried about what I wear, so I just slipped them on. The feeling was amazing. Like you are walking barefeet, yet on something soft and sturdy. Ever since, the scandalous looking slippers were part of my life. First mocked at, then part of my everyday idenity. Moi and her blue rocksters! It soon became part of everyone around me. It was the obvious alternative for bathroom slippers (not the team! rocksters are better anyday! :P) all the time in Pune or during dance practise. It became my mum's extra wear when she went out to throw the trash. Even my dad used it once!!!!!

It went all over the country with me. High-fi TAJ at Bombay, Chill roads of Pune, Sandy beaches of Pondy, Pebbles and countryside of Kerala, Long streches of tar in Chennai, and even the rocky landscape of Kudremuk hills! I wore it for interviews, outings, exams, competitions and much to the dismay of my parents, weddings. I mean, it went with everything {or so i thought}. And since 90 percent of my clothes are blue, why did I have to look elsewhere.

It was like the only slipper I ever wore and needless to say, wore out sooner than expected. The colour faded and some sharp stone went through the sole and made huge dent right through it! Soon my friends started looking down on it. My dad was so upset' he gave me money and ordered me to buy new slippers before I did anything else. "The rest of the world will think you dont have money for good slippers," were his exact words. Even my editor stopped sending me to press confrences in high-fi hotels because of my 'chappals'! People I knew for a day were asking me to change my slippers!! Sadly, I had to give in to pressure.

Today, my rocksters sit silently on the shoe rack. Torn beyond recognition, faded to the faintest blue, bent all the way up due to constant use, I would not let my mum throw it away. And as it gives me inscrutable looks, my face breaks into a big grin.

Can you imgine moi without her blue rocksters!

Posted by vidi :: 10:55 AM :: 3 wisecracks:

Post / what they thought...

-------------------------------------